Monday, June 30, 2008

Talkin Baseball

As I update the blog this evening, the Cubs are hammering the SF Giants 9-0 in the top of the 8th. Kathi's Cubs may currently have the second best record in MLB, but I would have told her that today's score had everything to do with the fact that Zito (3-11) was pitching for the Giants. It would be a lively conversation, because Kathi loves baseball and she loves the Cubs! So I am sure it brought her great pleasure today as she watched a little baseball on ESPN.

Kathi continues to make good progress in her recovery. According to her sister, she was very alert and curious this afternoon. And she is attempting to pull her tubes out, which is another good sign (although we don't want her to be successful in doing so).

Tomorrow the doctors have scheduled Kathi for surgery. They want to attend to the laceration on her lower left leg. As we posted earlier, the laceration is very deep and has not been healing well. The surgery will involve taking off the top layers of skin that are dead around the wound. If the tissue underneath is clear and not infected, the doctors will perform a skin graft in hopes of getting her leg to heal. However, if the skin underneath is infected, they will need to clean it out and wait another 72 hours before doing the skin graft. If this happens, this could delay her going to rehab for a couple of days.

So pray for her skin to be clear and viable tomorrow as they do the surgery. And pray for the family as they make decisions related to which rehab facility would be best for Kathi.

As always, your thoughts and prayers are appreciated! And watch the blog tomorrow for an update on her surgery!

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Thank you so much for the updates on Kathi. We are praying for her in Chicago, confident that God will continue His plan in her life.

T2 said...

Dear K4~
Still praying daily for you. I remember you telling me once that pizza was your comfort food and now I'm finding that I want to eat some on your behalf :-) Maybe I'll find some comfort, too, while my friend has to go in for yet another surgery. May your skin be pink and healthy where it needs to be! And may your favorite pizza await you!!

A said...

Lord, please heal that skin and make it ready for the surgery necessary to heal that leg! Please watch for infection God and clear that out with your power.
Thank you team, for the update! Kathi is constantly in our prayers!!
Annie and Mark Holt

Edge said...

K4 Cubby (now that we all know you love the Cubs),
My wife gets up every morning and the first thing she does is go to your blog to read it. And when she gets home from work, … she goes to your blog to read it. And if we happen to have a phone conversation during the day while she’s at work she will always ask if I’ve seen any updates to your blog.

Thank-you ever so much for the blog updates-they’ve become part of the daily routine for so many of us and there are not enough words to describe what a blessing it’s become.
We’re praying that the 7th inning stretch comes soon and we are allowed to come visit, meanwhile I am getting into shape for that bike ride on ‘Big RED’ you promised me Sistha!

P.S. I’ll ask your head-nurse to check your batting average to see when, if any, pizza treats are allowed - nice job T2!

Katie said...

Praying for surgery today. Also praying for wisdom and guidance as to which facility will be best for Kathi's rehab. We love you Kathi and are so grateful for all these positive updates!

AmyB said...

I'm so glad to hear that Kathi's able to enjoy a little baseball, and overjoyed at her continuing progress. I will pray that God heals that leg and for the difficult decisions to be made about her rehab. Kathi, you are contantly in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong and keep smiling! As you have taught me -- the Lord's at work and he's got you tightly in His grip.
Hugs to you, my friend!
AMY

Diana said...

Kathi,
I pray your surgery goes well today. When looking at rehab please consider Care Meridian Granite Bay. A 6 bed rehab unit with excellent care. Here is a contact number Gail Wakefield 949 794-0789.

God Bless!

tammi lasater said...

Good morning Kathi! Thinking of you as I do so often and praying for continued healing and progress. You are a rock star sister...Praising God!
Love U~ Tammi

Pam said...

Father, we know that "In Your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all." We ask for You to strengthen Kathi as she heals. Touch her leg and knit it back together; help it to get its healthy cells and skin back. We ask these things in the name of Your Son, Jesus. "Now, our God, we give You thanks, and praise Your glorious name." Amen

Lynn said...

Sweet Kathi,

Okay I have tears again....I am overwhelmed and I hurt for all that you are going through. You are an amazing women Kathi Sturgeon and I pray that our Almighty Healing God will continue to restore you back to health.

God I plead on Kathi's behalf that you would have this surgery be a great success. We know that you can move mountains and part the seas. We also know that you have the master plan and it is all in your hands and we will trust you for this.. I am grateful for all the healing you have done in Kathi so far...Thank you Great and Mighty God....

Thank you for the updates they are communicated so well. I also feel like I am right with you when I read the blog.

I am hopeful that we will get great news after your surgery tomorrow..

Much Love to you and your family, Lynn

Anonymous said...

To the family,

I have never met Kathi or Kathy but we do have a friend in common, Carrie. My husband was involved in a serious motorcycle accident in October. He was treated in the same Neuro ICU as Kathi is now. I wanted to let you know of a book that helped me through this process. I didn't find it until 3 months after his accident and wish that I had it sooner. It is called "Where is my mango princess?" It is written by a wife whose husband suffered a traumatic brain injury in an accident.

I will continue to pray for her speedy recovery. If you need to reach out to someone who has been there, please do not hesitate to contact me.