Thursday, June 26, 2008

Ways to Respond

While we continue to be amazed by the outpouring of love on behalf of our friend Kathi and her riding partner Kathy Hurd, I believe we have not yet scratched the surface of those within our community that wish to assist in one way or another. And I know that many of you have been waiting for this posting, which we hope will give you some more tangible ways to be involved in Kathi's recovery. So here they are:

1. Pray - God hears the prayers of his people and there is no limit to what he can do through them!

2. Give Blood - Blood donations provide life-saving treatments to accident victims, surgery patients, cancer patients and many others in need. Those who want to make a replacement donation of blood on behalf of Kathi, can do so with BloodSource. A donor account has been established on Kathi's behalf. Kathi's donor account number is P916. BloodSource does have an office in Folsom and their hours of operation are M-W (11am-1:15pm; 2:30-6 pm), Thursdays (9am-12:15pm; 1:30-4pm) and Fridays (8:30am-1pm). Their Bloodmobile will also be at Lakeside Church on Sunday morning, July 20th.

3. Assist Financially - While we have no idea what exactly Kathi's financial needs will be at this point, we want to encourage those who wish to help in this way, to give to Lakeside Church's Compassion Fund. Funds given to this account will be used to help financially offset Kathi's needs as well as those within the greater community of Lakeside. Gifts can be sent to Lakeside Church, 745 Oak Avenue Parkway, Folsom, CA 95630.

4. Provide a Meal - We are asking interested people to help in bringing lunch for 3-4 of Kathi's caregivers each day and driving it out to Sutter Roseville Hospital. We would also love to have people stop by around 4pm with coffee for Kathi's support team. If you are interested in being scheduled for this, email marniemcfarlin@lakesidechurch.com.

5. Write a Note - Cards are being collected in the Lakeside Church office and will be read to Kathi and later given to her when it is appropriate. We also encourage you to continue to leave your comments on the blog as well.

Finally, the Hurd family is requesting that instead of flowers, donations be made to Ride for a Reason, one of their favorite charities.

11 comments:

T2 said...

Dear K4~
Today is my birthday and your recovery is one of the best gifts that you can give; I'm so blessed to hear of your progress. Although, the Fabs won't be going to dinner together this year, we can sure plan for next year! In Hawaii!!! (I can dream, can't I?) My prayers are with you today, as always!

K3 said...

Don't worry K4...I sent T2 a birthday card and said it was from you too! We FABS stick together!

Annie said...

Thank you for giving us these great ideas to tangibly help. We are so excited for the good news!

shamiD said...

Thank you Lakeside staff for organizing ways to assist. I have my name on the list and am ready to serve.

Kathi - "Hi" my friend. I can't wait to give you a wonderful hug. I miss your smiling face.

Blitz was a huge success this year. Cami said it was the best year so far. Her favorite song was "Let My Actions Match My Passions". I can't wait for you to see all the photos of the kids worshiping Christ, and we will have to see if we can talk Cami into singing the song for you!

Love ya! Shami

Unknown said...

I just happened to pick up the Village Life while waiting at Kaiser this A.M. The article about Kathi caught my attention, and after reading her story I felt I had to reespond. In 1979 I was involved in an auto accident in which I suffered head trauma with bruising and swelling of my brain. I, too, was in a "coma", but my family was told to keep talking to me and asking me to squeeze their fingers, etc. Fortunately, I don't remember any pain or discomfort during this time, as I was also on a ventilator. The pressure in my brain would not go down so the doctors had to remove my right temporal lobe. To make a long story short---with all the fasting and prayers on my behalf I have made a complete recovery (mild weakness in my left arm & leg). The doctors could not even find any sign of abnormal brain signals in my six month EEG!
I know that it was the Lord's hand in my amazing recovery. I just want to say that I will also be praying for Kathi, and for each of you who are close to her---her recovery is easily within reach with God's help.

Alice-Marie said...

Dear Kathi, I have been reading these postings to you daily since the day of your accident. I have been praying every step of the way.
Having worked with several patients who were hurt in ways similar to yours, I am amazed at your progress. You are a miracle in action. God is holding you in the palm of his hand and will not let go. Lean on him. The road may be long but He will be there every step of the way, every breath you take, every time you try and respond to others...He will be there for you. FAITH, LOVE AND HOPE!!! He will deliver.
Hope to help you in your rehab soon
Love, Alice-Marie Laverdiere as well as Vic, Tanner and Cody
We all are praying and pulling for you.

hoovstir - Laurie said...

Dear Kathi,
It's Laurie from Oregon...I just learn the news today about your accident. My heart cries out to God for His healing hand to be upon you. I know first hand our God is a God of miracles. I will be claiming His promises for you.
You are loved, my friend! I am here for you if you ever need me. I am so glad you have such a wonderful church body and friends who can be there for you. Just know I am there in heart and always will be. Thanks for ALL the ways you have touched my life...I love you, my friend! HUGS to you and your family!
~Laurie and my hubby Sheridan

PS Dear Family and Church body,
THANK YOU for providing this website blog. My prayers are with each of you too. I am so thankful you are there for Kathi. Don't forget to take care of YOU too...May God bless you and surround you in His love. HUGS to each of you!

Joyce said...

Dear Kathy,
I have been praying that you will get those tubes out soon. Remember, when you came to visit me? That tube felt like shards of glass and I was miserable. Teresa and Kelly say hi too and wanted you to know they are also praying for you. You know that I fully recovered from my craniotomy and you will too. Love Joyce and Jim Baker

cheryl@erpd said...

Just a quick note to thank you SO very much for the time, care and attention that you have given this Blog. I have known Kathi since I was a little girl. Krista, Kathi's cousin, I have known my whole life and call family, has kept me up to date as well. Reading this blog everyday for updates has been such a loving provision for those of us that cannot be there in person. Thank you! I too feel as if I was right there in her room with all of the details you have provided. Kathi is a wonderful, strong, kind woman and I am praying for good things! Can't believe the progress she has made in just a week! Just amazing!
Thank you again,
Cheryl P

Dana Lookadoo said...

I only met Kathi once. Since we're fairly new to Lakeside, Donna Franklin mentioned Kathi did a lot of cycling (my husband and I are avid cyclists, too). Since learning of this incident, I can't get on my bike without holding back tears and replacing them with prayers. My prayers are for the healing and retraining of those synapses in Kathi's brain.

Thanks for this post and giving us an avenue to help financially and physically.

May this blog and the support and the music and the loving touches all be a part of helping Kathi's brain rewire and body recover.

Dawn Storm said...

Hi Kathi,
I am so glad that you are making progress. This is GREAT News!!! I am reading your blog daily. You are in my prayers daily Kathi. I know that you are very stong so keep stong and God will get you through all of this with lots of miracles at the end.
Love You, Dawn Storm FBCEG