Thursday, July 10, 2008

Moving Day - NOT!

Today is day 22 . . . and when we look back at how far Kathi has come in her healing, it's amazing. Focusing on this helps deal with the small "hiccup" in this week's progress. Kathi didn't transfer to the rehab facility as we had hoped on Tuesday. Yesterday, she was still very fatigued and less talkative, running a fever, breathing a little harder and her left eye was swollen from Monday's surgery. The doctors decided to keep her in the TNICU, repeat a CT scan of her head and get a chest xray.

Today we learned that her CT showed improvement from yesterday, her chest xray was normal, her temperature was nearly normal and she had regained her sense of humor. She is still very tired, her voice is merely a whisper, and it takes a long time for her to process her answers. She isn't able to have liquids anymore, but continues on the tube feedings. This afternoon tests revealed that she has a urinary tract infection, so antibiotics have been started.

I watched today, as the occupational therapists slid her onto a tilt-table, strapped her on and moved her into a standing position, bearing most of her own weight. It was difficult for her to hold her own head up because her muscles are weak - but even in that, she gave me a smile while I took her picture for her scrapbook. After about ten minutes, you could see that she was wiped out. She became very pale. But this was a great accomplishment. Back to bed she went, and sound to sleep. 

On a positive note, I enjoyed looking at pictures with her that were left by her sister, Theresa. Kathi was able to identify some of her friends, her cat, Spike, and all of her family. When I received a phone call from her "big boss," Pastor Brad, she heard his name and smiled a big smile. (That was very politically correct, Kath!)

Anyway, continue praying for strength and healing. The Great Physician is in control!


13 comments:

shamid said...

Kathi - We have had many conversations of the power of prayer. You are a living testament of that awesome power. Keep working hard my friend. We love and miss you dearly (as I write this I can't wipe the tears away quick enough). I wish I could do more. For now - prayer is the best medicine.

I can't wait until the day I can give you a big hug... Shami

4j's said...

Alrighty then, so you are not moving for a few more days - all that means to me is that God wants you to heal a little more before the big move. I am amazed every day for even the little things because they mean so much. So, for today, hurrah, you stood and who knows what tomorrow will bring (well, we know who knows - don't we?)

Keep it up Kathi - when the time is right, then God will let you and your doctors know. Until then, get rest and get ready for more amazing things to happen.

You are a blessing to me every day. By the way - good move on knowing who Brad was!! hehe

In prayer and gratitude,
johanna

the blog according to Libby said...

Keep going girly! You can do it! And God is going to give you the power to do it! We love you! Dan, Lib, Maggie and Trent

Rena and Jim said...

Kathi- do you remember when Jim was in the hospital and you took my hand and prayed with me that God would heal him? God was gracious and listened to our prayer. Now it has been a blessing for Jim and I to hold hands and pray the same prayer for you. We love you very much and we are so thankful God is the Great Physcian.

Katie said...

Continue to rest Kathi. You are doing awesome! I am amazed by you and all that God is doing through you.

Cherie Denna said...

I wrote to Maribeth in Malawi today telling her it is as if God has called an army of Angels to your bedside.

Father, God, we praise you in the steps forward and the steps backward, for we know your will be done and Kathi will be a walking, talking, laughing miracle. We pray for cleansing and restoration of her body. Keep her in your healing hands Lord as her move is completely in your hands; and the medical staff, of course. Bless them Lord for the wonders they perform with their gifts of expertise, discernment, and precision. You are the great physician and healer and we lift Kathi up to you and pray for the greatest of miracles upon this beautiful woman of God. To your name be the glory. Amen ~

Bay said...

Every day I pray for you, Kathi, and am thankful for those kind enough to keep us posted on your progress, your struggles and determination.

The comments that are posted make my prayers feel even stronger because I know that with the sheer number of people who are supporting you in prayer, God just can't help but hear us! (Probably needs earplugs.)

May today be another day of progress, one step at a time!

alycia said...

Kathi I do not know you personally nor attend Lakeside. You are a sister in Christ to me and thus I am praying and believing w/the body for your healing. God will receive all honor and glory for what He is doing through His servant. Our prayers are w/you the ladies of Harvest Church.

Pam said...

Dear sister, I will pray more fervently for you. It looks like that surgery was pretty rough on your body. Lord, I ask you to wrap Kathi tightly and help her body and muscles to strengthen. We ask You to fortify her muscles so that she can start lifting her head easily and start doing more things on her own. We ask for strength and more strength, Father. Amen.
Love, Pam L.

T2 said...

Dear K4~
I can only imagine how difficult this time must be for you, I'm so sorry that you're having to experience such a trial. Yet, we know that our God turns these trials into strength and character and spiritual maturity. It will be a joy to see how the Lord uses this for his glory and your growth. What a ministry you will have indeed!

Lynn said...

Kathi,

It hurts to know who much you are having to go through...PEACE my friend!

I continue to pray for strength, peace and comfort...I trust and have faith that God will heal you fully. His plan is far greater then we can imagine and you are precious Kathi Sturgeon!!

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God"

Love and Hugs, Lynn
Keep Fighting Girl!!

Rick Pucci said...

Dearest Kathi --

All your friends from Team Orange send their love and support.

We are praying that you feel His presence every moment -- He is with you and in you and will give you the strength you need t oface every step of the rehab process.

I know that I speak for all of us who are far from California when I say "thank you" to the angels who are tending to our friend Kathi. You are truly Him here...

May God bless and keep you, Kathi. May His face shine upon you. You are blessed and more!

All our love...

Ultimate Leadership Team Orange

Lucille said...

Hello,

I hope Theresa and/or Debbie read this. It is Lucille, the waiting room buddy.

I have been thinking about Kathi everyday since Marcy has been released. I have been wanting to talk with you but didn't know how. Luckily a friend told me of this site.

I am so happy to hear of Kathi's progress. I know the relief you feel. And the anxiety of still a long recovery. But, it will all be worth it to get her back.

I want you to know I am still praying for you and am so grateful to have met you all. You are all simply wonderful.

I hope to meet Kathi and see you all agin. Somehow, someday.

Love,
Lucille