Friday, July 4, 2008

I Feel Strong

"I feel strong!" Those were the words Kathi shared with her sister yesterday. In fact, Kathi is feeling so strong that she pulled her feeding tube out on her own. And if she passes her swallow test today, she can begin to eat soft foods. Yes, Kathi's progress continues to be remarkable.

The nurses have spent the last couple of days trying to get Kathi as active as possible in preparation of her transfer to rehab. They have her sitting up, standing up (while strapped into a tilt table), and doing memory exercises along with strengthening exercises several times a day. If all continues to go well, it appears that Kathi will be transferred to rehab on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Regarding her memory, Kathi recalls and identifies family and friends. She knows her birthday. And just this morning she started reading some of her cards on her own! Yahoo!

She is also beginning to put words together in complete sentences. And her vocal projection has really improved in the last couple of days! In fact, Kathi really blessed her sister yesterday when she said, "I really appreciate all you are doing for me."

While Kathi continues to run a slight fever, the doctors really feel this is neuro related and has nothing to do with the possibility of infections in her leg or lungs. So as the swelling in her brain continues to go down, so will her fever.

As we have indicated, the next step for Kathi will likely be rehab. It appears that she will likely be moving to the Mercy Rehab Program at Mercy General in Sacramento. Theresa visited the facility yesterday and was comforted by the caring staff and program they have at the hospital.

I don't know about you, but it boggles my mind to think that she is going to rehab so soon. She has made amazing progress and I am so thankful to the Great Physician for the continued healing of our friend and the faithful prayers of his people.

Today, as we pause to give thanks to God for our freedoms here in America, we also give thanks to God for Kathi. She is a blessing to so many of us. Happy 4th! May God bless you! May God bless Kathi! And may God bless America!

17 comments:

Sally-Girl! said...

All I can say is that you are amazing Kathi! What a great God we serve and what a powerful message you and our God are sending out to believers and non-believers alike!!!

This time last year you were following our amazing blog journey in Guatemala and now we are following your amazing journey. You are in our constant prayers!

You are so loved!
Sally

A said...

Kathi! How amazing! I am glad you have so many family and friends leaving notes for you to read!!! You'll get great practice! We miss you and are praying for you! When I run into people who don't personally know you, but they know your recent story, they are always asking about you and crying with me when we rejoice over how the Lord has worked in you!! Hang in there! God is so good and we SING it from the mountain tops!

Rodger and Lynne Schmidt Mozambique said...

Kathi,
Yesterday I found out that one of my precious little boys at the orphanage died this week. This time yesterday, I was crying with a heart full of sadness and sorrow. Today, I'm crying tears of joy because of God's amazing healing taking place in your life! We continue to pray for you and to be amazed.
Rodger, Lynne and boys in Mozambique

Joyce said...

Dear kKathi, I am so thankful that you have made such great progress. I have thought and prayed for you through each step of your journey. I know God and his faithfulness will continue to heal and strengthen you. As you can imagine, I was devastated and saddened to know that you would have to go through such a similar event as mine. I have recovered quickly, and I know you will also. We serve a great God, our deliver. love, jim & joyce

T2 said...

Way to go K4!! I'm so glad to hear that you'll be staying in town, that way I can still get the personal updates from K1&3. Still praying for you every day and sending lots of love your way through the Spirit. Can't wait until they tell us that you can receive phonecalls!

Amy said...

Kathi You Are Amazing!

You are such a blessing to so many. Your progress and your strength reaffirms the power of prayer.

I ADORE seeing Christ work through you and the many people involved in your recovery.

Katie said...

Amazing! I am in awe at the progress that Kathi has made. God is so faithful and good!

Lynn said...

Kathi,

Glory glory hallelujah!! Kathi your strength and courage is incredible!
I know that God has such big plans for you!! I can hardly wait to see you and hear your amazing story of recovery.

Thank you Jesus for walking every step with our dear and loved friend...I am filled with gratitude for your healing power and for the team of doctors and nurses that are caring for her!!

Kathi you are on my mind and in my heart all of the time. I continue to pray for complete healing for you my friend.....Your are truely amazing Kathi Sturgeon!! GO GIRL!!

Love and Hugs, Lynn
"For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does". Psalm 33:4

Cindy said...

Kathi,
I am so amazed by the great progress you are making. I know that our Father is so carefully knitting you back together and will restore you. I am so anxious for the day that I can see you, and see that beautiful smile and strong spirit shining through.
I, too give thanks for our freedom and for the great gift that has been given to all of us in Kathi.
Praise the Lord!
God Bless You and all those surrounding you and caring for you.
Cindy D

Anonymous said...

Kathi – we are continuing to pray for you and Praise God for your healing!! Love, The McCloskeys.

Litlbit said...

Praise God for your continued healing and wonderful progress each day. Kathi, today I was having breakfast at Ernie's and thought of you. I know Ernie's is one of your favorites. You'll just have to continue with your progress and amaze the doctors in Rehab, and you'll be eating again at Ernie's in no time. Praying for God's continued healing. DON'T STOP AMAZING US!

Teresa

tammi lasater said...

Wow! Words can not express the great joy after reading the blog tonight. Kathi you are a remarkable woman of God. May you continue to rely on Him for strength and healing as He continues to work miracles through you. You are loved and thought of so often. I can't wait to see your big bright smile and give you a big hug.
With Love~ Tammi

Pam said...

Wow! Our God is so great and I am so thankful that you "feel strong." May He keep you on this fast track to healing and back to your healthy self. I look forward to seeing you soon.
Lots of love, Pam L.

4j's said...

You Feel Strong and "I Feel Blessed". We just returned from Disneyland and while we had a wonderful time we could not get you off our minds. God has provided for you in ways beyond my imagination and I know we are all so grateful for his place in your life and healing.

To hear those sweet words must have been like music to your family. Much love to you my friend as you continue your amazing journey back. Through you and God my faith grows ever stronger - God Bless and I can't wait to see what you do next!!
johanna

Cherie Denna said...

AMAZING! AMAZING! AMAZING! Why we think this is amazing is beyond me, because our God continually shows us His amazing love, mercy and grace, and His ability to strengthen us when at our weakest. Regardless, we are always amazed when our God pours His love upon us, however He chooses. The question came up yesterday, once again, as to why devastation and suffering touches the good and innocent. Earthquakes and storms were the example given. We can define a 'storm' in so many ways. It was said that it is after the storm passes, in the quiet and calm, that we hear and see God's glory from it. We see it now Kathi, in you, precious sister. Your story is already so powerful, and brings us to our knees. I praise God for you and how mightily He is using you to witness to so many. You are so loved!
In His Light, Cherie

kbrainard said...

Kathi, I've been checking your blog daily -even while on vacation in Colorado. My friend there had already heard about you- so prayers are being said all over the country for you! I'm so glad to hear of your progress and strength. You are amazing! God bless you as you continue your recovery! Love, Krissy B

LLE said...

dear kathi
i'm so glad you are feeling
good. when you get back i will
give you a big hug.you are the
best, you always know what to
say when someone is sad. you are the best christian i know.
i love you!

love,sofia E.