Friday, July 11, 2008

Change of Scenery!

Well, it finally happened today. Kathi made the move to the rehab facility. She handled the move with grace and humor. I was pleasantly surprised how much she was talking today. I caught up with her just as she was being wheeled into her new room. She is just the sweetest thing - still smiling and saying "thank you" for everything. It is exciting to have her begin this new journey. She was able to verbalize that she was in "rehab" and would be "working hard." The challenge will be if she remembers that tomorrow.

She once again forgot my name (ouch!) but remembered my special skills and complimented me on them. But, she also forgot where she lives, or that she lives alone. Oh well . . . she still makes me laugh!

We broke the first rule today - no phones. But, what can I say - rules are made to be broken (sometimes!) and we dialed her sister, Theresa, in Washington state and Kathi talked to her for a while. We had to hide the phone - much like I'm doing on my drives this week. 

Assessment of her skills/needs will happen over the weekend by physical therapy, speech therapy, and occupational therapy. Then on Monday, the work begins! The doctor in charge of her rehabilitation has stressed that she can't have visitors while she is in therapy during the day. He suggested that we hold visitors for a week or so to allow her to settle in. She also cannot have phones or TV until she "earns" them. When evening visiting is allowed, we will let you know and ask that you schedule with her care team. Information on who to contact will be posted on the blog.

Physically, her leg wound is healing well; she no longer has an IV; and the doctor hopes to remove some of her other tubes tomorrow. She still has a feeding tube and that will also be assessed over the weekend. 

We wished her a "good-night," tucked her under her covers and told her to go to sleep! This may be her first night of sleep without alarms and monitors. Sleeping is healing . . . pray for good sleep!

12 comments:

Sally-Girl! said...

Sounds more like boot camp than rehab!!! Can't wait to read about your progress and hear that you have "earned" lots of tv and phone time!!

Praise God for your strength and determination. Go get em!

Love ya,
Sally

Katie said...

Well, let the journey begin! Kathi, I am praying for SLEEP (which I love!) I am excited for this next step in your healing process and can not wait to see you! Much love and many prayers!

Brandon and Katie Steele

-Trish said...

Hi Kathi!
What great news! I hope you have many memorable moments in rehab. I miss seeing you around Lakeside.
Love and hugs, -Trish

A said...

Kathi! Way to go!! We love you and have been constantly praying for you. Been away from a computer for a couple of days, but will try and check in when possible!
God is holding you in His hands!!!
Annie and Mark Holt

4j's said...

YOU GO GIRL!!! go KATHI, Go KATHI (OK, imagine me dancing) What a blessing!

I am so happy to hear that God is working in such amazing ways and that you are making progress and 'earning' additional 'stuff'. (although I think you deserve 'stuff' anyway)

Can't wait to smuggle, I mean, bring you some great CDs to listen to while you work - just like the 7 Dwarfs (we just went to Disneyland, can you tell)?

Keep it up my friend and I will see you soon! Theresa, I can't wait to see you again soon.

My prayers and blessing continue to flow to you, your family, your Doctors and your healing. May God bless you and heal you even more this week as you begin a new chapter in your recovery.

Love you lots,
johanna

Lynn said...

Kathi,

Jesus is right by your side along with a band of the finest angels! And of course you have your cheerleading squad (hundreds of us)cheering you to victory!!

Your determination and love of the LORD is going to shine brightly in rehab and your recovery is going to be amazing for all of us to see....I just know it!

I am really looking forward to seeing you Kathi!! My prayers are for a peaceful and restful sleep..When you wake up I have a feeling you will be READY TO GO!!
They won't believe the energy that is about to hit rehab....GO GIRL!!

Rest sweet friend,
Much Love, Lynn

T2 said...

Dear K4~
Well, this new phase will prove to be interesting! I pray that all the therapists working with you will see the power of God working in your life. I know that He will continue to give you everything you need to accomplish rehabilitation and when you think you have no more, He will supply immeasurable more even still.

Edge said...

We all gathered at Ernie's of Tahoe for their first ever Saturday night fund-raiser. They wanted to do something of practical application to make a difference in our community for you Kathy and extended the 5-7pm hours to 8pm. The hamburgers were excellent, the fellowship aplenty, and praise to God for your recovery progress was on everyone's lips ...along with either American or Swiss cheese!

When we get the ok, I’ll put on my SpongeBob BassPants outfit from Blitz 2006 and bring you a CD of ALL the pictures.
Edge~

nanette said...

Kathi my friend
You are going to be kicking some PT (physical therapy) butt pretty soon. whish I could be there to help you.
Stay strong in the Lord He is your ever present help in time of trouble. And you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you.
AMEN.
The Rogers

Dawn Storm said...

Way to go Kathi!!! You are doing great girl! I am so proud of you. I am praying for you daily. I pray for strength and healing. Stay strong and know that there are a lot of us who love you dearly.

Dawn Storm, FBCEG

Cherie Denna said...

Kathi ~ We're all praising God over here at Powerhouse Ministries, every step of the way, girlie! You've already shown them a glimpse of what you're made of..now let their jaws drop to the floor in amazement at the level of strength and perseverance within you!

"The righteous cry out and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles." (Psalm 34:17)

In His Light,
Cherie LaLanne

Ralph and Diana said...

Goooooooo Kathy,

Diana, Me and our whole small group keep praying for you and know that all will be well. You go girl!!!

We know that all will be back to "normal" soon and that HIS grace will again be big time.

Love,

Ralph and Diana Pena