Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Community of Brothers

One of the important things in my schedule is to meet with a support group of people who have sustained a TBI. We meet every two weeks. Our group has changed a bit since I have begun attending. Currently there are four of us, besides our neuro-psychologist, who meets with us. I am the only woman with three guys (four guys counting our psychologist.) Though sometimes Lynda, our physical therapist, leads our time. She does a great job too.

I am in good community.

We all have different backgrounds. We each have sustained our injuries in different ways, though one man was also hit by a car while riding his bicycle.

Each of us has sustained horrendous injuries; we each were in a coma for some extent of time; we've been having to learn to adapt and adjust to our new lives; we're all happy to be alive -- it is miraculous that each of us is alive.

I enjoy these men and find them a great encouragement to me. We are all a great encouragement to one another. We can relate to what one another struggles with, as well as the areas that we have been able to celebrate in our lives. Their community, their friendship, is important to me.

No comments: