Monday, June 20, 2011

3 Years and Counting

June 18 of this year marked the 3 year anniversary of when my friend Kathy and I were hit by a car whose driver was under the influence of alcohol. Our lives were significantly impacted, not just physically, but emotionally, mentally, spiritually -- in a number of ways. My life has not been the same since.

I am grateful to God for the healing, recovery, and the hope He has given me throughout this time. I really was not expected to survive and if I did, the question remained in regards to what my condition would be like.

My life has made a miraculous recovery! I am doing well physically, though I still have some challenges, aches, and pains. Mentally I am doing well, though there are some behavioral challenges that I need to focus on and work through. My memory and problem solving have gotten a lot better, though they can have their hiccups. Stamina-wise I have gotten better, but that can be a challenge too. I still need to build rest into my schedule. Work-wise I do not have a job, but I am working on some writing that I am doing, seeking to tell the story of this journey I have been on.

On the 18th my friend Kathy and I, as well as a number of other friends on bicycles and on foot, joined us on El Dorado Hills Blvd along the site where Kathy and I were hit. Also, the paramedics/firefighters who helped us, were there.

On my new bicycle, and for my first time since the crash in 2008, we rode the route along EDH Blvd. It was my first time to ride a bike along this route since I have been hit. It felt good to be on the bike again and it felt good to be able to ride the EDH Blvd. hill that I needed to ride.

It was an incredible time. It far exceeded the expectations I had for the ride.

This site is no longer just a crash site, but it is now a celebration site! We had an incredible celebration of the hope, healing, and recovery that has and is taking place.

What lies ahead in the "...and counting"? I don't know, but I know that God does know. I am in good hands.

No comments: