Monday, October 6, 2008


Hi friends,
I know that it has been awhile since I've been in touch, so I 
thought I'd write about what has happened this past week.

Monday (September 29)
On Monday, my sister came to town! It was SO good to see her. This was actually her fourth trip to California since my accident, but I only remember the last trip (a few weeks or so ago).

Things have changed since I saw her last. For example, I'm walking (most of the time) without the use of my cane. My memory is a lot better. Physically I am doing better . . . it was an encouraging visit for her and for me.

My sister is 3 1/2 years younger than me and it was great to see her in action. She is mature, smart, a go-getter, and has a good heart. I've been the recipient of her love, hard work, encouragement, and expertise.

She left Sunday and this was probably the longest time we spent together in a couple of years. I can't wait until she can return again. We spent the past week going to therapy appointments getting together with friends, doing a little shopping, eating, and just hanging out together.



Tuesday & Wednesday (September 30/October 1)
My therapy continues to progress. I had two days of therapy last week and will have two days this week. Today (October 6) had me in for all three therapies (physical, occupational, and speech). It went well and each of my therapists has been very encouraging and helpful.

Thursday (October 2)
Here is another cool thing that happened last week! I got to meet the medics who responded to the emergency call for Kathy Hurd and me. It was a wonderful opportunity to meet the men and women who treated and cared for us in the initial moments of our accident. Their timely and accurage treatment of us was critical. They saved our lives.

I know I have a hard time understanding just how critical my condition was, but hearing the various stories and seeing some pictures from when I was first in the hospital is enlightening me.

Sunday (October 5)
It was sad to leave my sister at the airport, but I'm thankful her family let her come down for the week. I'm glad she is back home with them.

Sometimes I don't feel like I'm doing anything! But I am consistently reminded that doing what I can do to get better is what I am to focus on. Though I don't have a lot "scheduled" into my week, it does take physical and emotional energy from me. I'm encouraged to hear that the frustrations and challenges are all part of the healing process.

If you have been praying for me - Thank You Very Much - and please continue. Pray for perseverance, continued healing, and for the wisdom that I need each day. Thanks.

Blessings,

Kathi

15 comments:

T2 said...

Hey K4~

Okay, so you probably noticed that I haven't called you yet....But, I have still been praying for you every night. Thanks for the update and pix--you're looking great! It's an amazing process you've been through, wonderful to see the vast amount of people you've touched who care so much for you. I will pray for your continued strength, healing and tenacity with your therapy. Much love!

klonergan said...

Wow! how cool to read updates actually written by you! And how amazing and wonderful it was to see you at Ernies. I still get goose bumps when I think of it. I love seeing the pictures and hearing how well you're doing. I will continue to pray for your healing and perseverance. What a blessing you have been to me!

Bradley Family said...

Hey Kathi,
I'm not sure if you know me but i have been praying for you and i wanted to say how amazed i am at Gods healing in your life. You are such an inspiration to me, you've pushed through so much and i know it is all part of God's plan. Heres a verse that has gotten me through struggles in my life.."For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11.

God Bless You and Keep you Always,
Lots of Love,
Katelyn Bradley

Sally-Girl! said...

Kathi,
I am so glad you finally got to meet the paramedics that took care of you. I know how important that was to you. I am sure that was an awesome day for them getting to see you walk into their station!!! You certainly have a story to tell that will make non-believers believers of how great our God is!! As always, you are still at the top of my prayer list! Love, Sally

madru said...

Hi, I look forward to every update. You look and sound great! I hope you don't mind writing these updates, as a fellow cyclist I have been following your progress from day one. I add you to my nightly prayers. It is so wonderful to see you doing so well!
As a believer in God you can confindently say,"Although I don't know what the future holds, I know who holds the future" God Bless Carmen (from San Diego)

ucdgrad said...

Thanks for the update and glad the recovery is progressing!
Jen J.

A said...

Always praying, daily and whenever the Lord brings you to my mind!
I am thankful for these insights that you bring to us, it's helpful in prayers!!!
You look great and it sounds like you are doing exactly what you should be doing! The Lord is raising you up for the next step in your life and I am thankful to be here as a witness to what He's doing in you!!
Annie Holt

Lorri James said...

Hi Kathi,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, prayers, stories and cute fireman pictures!

Keep up the hard work, you're doing great! Love ya!

Cindy said...

Kathi,
It is so great to hear of your progress. I had the opportunity to meet your sister, you're right, she is a ball of fire. From the few conversations I had with her, I could feel her warmth. My sister is my best friend, she lives in Montana, so I know the hardships of distance. I'm so glad that you got to just enjoy each other. Thanks for keeping us updated. You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers, and I can't wait to see what God will do with you and your amazing testimony!! You have touched so many people.
Love you!
Cindy

Jennifer Foster said...

Yeah, the firemen were cute weren't they? :-)

Still praying for you, Kathi!

Lots of love your way,

The Foster family

Unknown said...

Hey Kathi,

Long lost friends from Elk Grove who now live in Camarillo (Ventura County)in SoCal. We have stayed in touch with your situation through Kim Mills. God has healed you and continues to do so for a reason and its gotta be exciting to see what that is as you continue thriving in your life. May God richly bless you in the days to come. Both of our kids are now at Biola University. We are in a new phase of life. Of course your accident puts that life in perspective and how each day is something to live for God moment by moment in.

Haven't seen you since 2002 now but we know the Lord is using you in awesome ways.

Love
Jeff and Karen Hahn
jhahn@decore.com

hoovstir - Laurie said...

Kathi sending a BIG {{{HUG}}} to you! Blessings on you! May God continue to have His healing hand upon you! You are His miracle! THANKS for the update and enjoyed reading it. Take Care, I am praying for you always...~Laurie

4j's said...

Today was such a blessing - To see you walking and answering questions and joking with Libby was WONDERFUL!

God is amazing and has worked beautifully in your life - bringing you back into all of our lives. I appreciate every day I am alive to give glory to him for all his is doing in your life. I believe that through you, so many will come even closer to God, I know it has strengthened my faith.

I continue to pray for healing for you and even when I forget to add your name to our nightly prayers, my little girl, Jordyn, reminds me, not to forget about Kathi - In reality, I never forget about you!

Bless you and see you soon
Johanna

Cherie Denna said...

What an amazing woman of God you are Kathi ~ You know, the joy of the Lord never ceased to shine through you during even the earlier days in ICU. God has chosen to use you as a beacon of hope. So many blessings have come from this (Romans 8:28)and there are so many more.

"The people you live among will see how awesome is the work that I, the LORD, will do for you." ~Exodus 34:10~

PTL!!

Cherie LaLanne

Bay said...

Dear Kathi-
Thank you for the update. I love your blog. To me it spells hope, blessings, love and thanks. . .ok, lots of adjectives. And, there's more where that came from! I guess they all = God. Hugs, Bay