Thursday, October 23, 2008

A Good Workout!

Who would have thought doing jumping jacks, jogging a short distance down the hallway, as well as walking a short distance, turning while walking and then walking backwards would be anything to get excited about? But being 48-years-old and having suffered a traumatic brain injury brings a new appreciation for the simple things in life.

My therapists think I am doing very well. My balance has been returning, so that is encouraging and exciting. It enables me to get excited about doing things that I had really taken for granted. Four months ago (my accident occurred on June 18), medical personnel were wondering if I'd even survive and today I am jogging down the hallway!

God has been so faithful and gracious to me. I'm thankful for God's care of me. He has provided through many people: for my care needs, for my relational needs, my physical recovery needs, as well as my spiritual needs. I have been incredibly blessed.

I have been able to attend church two weeks in a row, as well as a women's Bible study. It has been great to be able to return to Lakeside. It has been fun and encouraging to see people I haven't seen in a while. This church has demonstrated Jesus to me and to my family in an extraordinary way.

This past weekend, my pastor gave a tremendous message on leaving a legacy - how would people remember me? Wow! That hit a little close to home having almost died, but it was a huge thought to ponder. I'm still processing that idea, as I know that there is plenty I have not done well and people I haven't loved well. But I am thankful for forgiveness, and to know that God is working in my life - changing me from the inside out. I want to be a woman with a strong character and life that honors God and I want to love others well.

May my life (through God's strength) be one of faith (in a faithful God), that in turn exudes hope that only God can bring (even when things don't look too "positive"), that produces a love for others as God would have me love them.

I hope that as you are reading this, that you recognize God's love for you. May you see it and experience His love in a special way.

Blessings,
Kathi

8 comments:

Sally-Girl! said...

Sooo sooo good to read your post!!! Think of you all the time! Praise God for your continued recovery! You are awesome and so is our God!

4j's said...

Wow, I knew that your balance was coming back, but jogging? You go girl.

It has been so good to see your progress and even better to hear you speak about your journey and how God has continued to be faithful to you and to bring you peace about your life.

You continue to be my inspiration and I pray for you every day. See you soon,
johanna

A said...

What an awesome update! We still are praying for you daily and I am constantly amazed and in awe of our God who is restoring your health! Praise be to HIM!!!
Annie and Mark Holt

ucdgrad said...

Thanks for the update! You're in my thoughts and prayers! Jen

Rodger and Lynne Schmidt Mozambique said...

Hi Kathi,

Thanks for the reminder, especially about the loving well part. I teach back-to-back English and Children's bible/Art class on Saturdays. Sometimes, I dread Saturdays, but toay, I entered the class thinking about how I could love these kids well.

I'm proud of you, Kathi and your story has touched my heart and made me grateful for each day that I can get out of bed.

Love,
Lynne Schmidt

Amy said...

Yes!!!

It has been awesome to see God work through you and to touch so many people. You are an amazing testiment to his love and strength.

I can't imagine that any of this has been easy for you to endure. You have shown such grace. I can't imagine anybody handeling it better!!! You are amazing Kathi!!!

You are faithfilled and you are loved!!!! It so very inspiring! It has been soo good seeing you around church! Soo good!!

Terri Oesterreich said...

Hi, Kathi,
I realized I hadn't checked your updates in probably a month, so I looked today and am so happy to hear how you are doing. Greg Breeding was down to visit a couple weeks ago, and he and I talked about you and how God has been healing you. Know that you are being prayed for in Orlando.

Terri Oesterreich

Jenny Whistler said...

You have no idea how many lives you have touched with your story. Believe me...a MIRACULOUS Legacy! Let me know when we can finally have our lunch date or walk...I'm hoping you remember me, but totally understand if not. Hugs & Love, Jenny Whistler p.s. (Does Lockdownbrewingcompany.com and our golf tournament help????)