Thursday, August 7, 2008

Phone Chat

So . . . I was sitting in the break room on Wednesday, grabbing a quick lunch, when my cell phone rang. I didn't recognize the number and answered with that hesitant voice we all have when we are afraid it's a sales call.

"Hi! It's Kathi." It took me a moment to do the mental puzzle to realize it was KATHI! It was just the sweetest thing in the world. Two other friends were sitting with me, and Kathi said hello to them, too. She told me that they are allowing her two calls a week now, and she "hoped she wasn't bothering me."  We chatted a bit, said good-bye and hung up, and then I cried. Not given to much emotion, and having not really cried much during this journey, I was overcome by the miracle that God has blessed us all with. OK - enough sentimentality.

Last night, Spike made an appearance and Kathi had the chance to hold him and see him. She told me it was "good for him to see her." When my husband asked if Spike seemed glad to see her, she said "he's not exactly a warm and fuzzy cat." Which we all know is true!

You see in this picture that she is looking at her most recent mail. To her classmates in Washington - celebrating a 30-year class reunion - she was amazed and touched by your card and picture. She remembered each and every one of you. Once again, she is still awed by the people who have encouraged and inquired about her.

There are once again specific areas of prayer. First, even though you can see the normal sparkle in her eyes, Kathi still struggles with memory and dealing with thoughts that she thinks are reality. Sometimes she is right on the money, sometimes she's way off the mark! So pray for continued healing in her brain. 

There is a possibility, only a possibility at this point, that Kathi may be going to another more intense rehab facility in the next couple of weeks. There are many issues to be worked out, but if she could go, it would be the best thing in the world for her recovery. This is a facility that simulates real life and helps her begin to learn basic skills of daily living. Pray that God will make perfectly clear his plan for her immediate future.

Her one complaint is fatigue - pray for increasing strength and stamina. 

Wrapping up this week's blog, I'll close with some of Kathi's humor - which by the way, is so very present. While meeting with some people last week from another rehab facility, they asked what her work hours were like as the Director of Women's Ministries. She said about five and 1/2 days a week. One of the people joked that they thought pastors only worked on Sundays. Kathy responded with "Yeah, that's just the "guy" pastors."


13 comments:

Katie said...

Praise God for Kathi and her smile! I am so happy to hear that she is continuing to work hard. I am praying for endurance and for a possible transition for Kathi. May the Lord bless her and continue to heal her!

Much Praise!

Katie Steele

T2 said...

Dear K4~
You're looking really good these days! I'm still praying for you every single night and hoping that your therapy will bring you home soon. It's an incredible journey that you're on, one I know that you didn't chose, but I know that God will be glorified through it in the most amazing way. Keep going!!

A said...

Kathi! Still praying constantly for you! Praise God alone for giving you the endurance He has so far. You are doing an amazing job and we are so thankful to be a witness to your life! We will be praying for these new concerns and also that you would just be surrounded and aware of the Spirit of God today!
Mark and Annie Holt

Rosemary said...

Dearest Kathi, The 'thank you' page in our local neighborhood paper from you and Kathy Hurd was very touching. You are blessed to have so many caring people in your lives. I know there are many Sisters in Christ that continue to pray for your healing. Because Christ lives in us we can remain courageous and hopeful. Our courage and hope reveal that our faith is real. God loves you and will take you through this recovery. Blessings to you and may peace be with you my friend. Rosemary

Rodger and Lynne Schmidt Mozambique said...

Hi Kathi,

Our hearts desire is to send you a card, but we generally don't mail things from Mozambique for fear they will be lost.

We haven't stopped thinking of you, praying for you and checking your updates.

Your smile is incredible and you must be working very hard to be allowed 2 phone calls! Way to go!

Much love to you, Kathi, from your friends around the world in Mozambique!

Rodger and Lynne Schmidt

Unknown said...

Usmc2083
Indeed, your smile is the first thing noticed when seeing your picture and that just relates to how much joy you exhibit from your deepest spirit. Scripture says be joyful in all trials because God is teaching you patience and endurance...Well it does my heart good to see you take that within you and be a shining example for the rest of us...You have our continued prayers of thankfulness for God's good grace and mercy to you...

Eric, your friend from Chipotle...

4j's said...

YAHOO! I love to see that smile and hear how far you have come in your recovery.

I will pray for strength, endurance and clear thoughts. I really miss you and want only the best that God will provide so while I know the additional rehab would be wonderful I know that God will provide the best for you.

Keep it up Kathi, I hope I get to see you again soon,

Much Love,
Johanna

Lynn said...

Dearest Sweet Kathi,

What a beautiful picture of you!! You are in my prayers and thoughts daily. I pray that our Almighty LORD will heal your brain in miraculous ways and give you the stamina and strength you need to perservere through your recovery!!

I can hardly wait for the day you return to us at Lakeside! You are missed and very loved Kathi!!

Thank you God for the healing you have given to Kathi, I continue to plead for total restoration for you Kathi.

"With God all things are possible".

Peace and love to you Kathi,

Lynn

Sherry said...

Wow! Look at you. All smiles!!! You've worked so hard and I thank God for his faithfulness. I pray for that extra measure of strenth and endurance as you push on to the next stage of your recovery. God will continue to work little miracles--one day at a time. His heaing power knows no limits. Keep
smiling :-) You're a testimony to the power of faith-filled prayer.

Blessings to you,
Sherry

The Roberts Family said...

Kathi~
Brian and I are continuing to pray for strength and stamina for you. It is amazing me how hard you are working and the progress you have made. We miss seeing your smiling face at church but know that you will be back before we know it. Get as much rest as you can so that you can heal fast.

Love,
Brian and Alisa Roberts

Unknown said...

Hi Kathi
I've been keeping up to date on your blog and so grateful for your great progress. You are amazing Kathi! I love your sense of humor. A friend from Temple Baptist Church-Lodi informed me about your accident. I hope you remember me. I work with Women's Ministries at Temple Baptist. May you continue to have good spirits as you persevere with your therapy.
Your friend, Kathy

Lydia Martinez said...

Dearest Kathi,

Boy, you are doing a great job working so hard. I continue to pray that some day soon I will be able to have a short visit with you. I miss you so much. Praise our Lord for your continued healing. He is good......

Always Lydia from Elk Grove

Unknown said...

Dear Kathi,

I just found out about your accident! I'm so very sorry.....you are in my prayers and thoughts!
Your Blog Page is being updated and a good place to catch up on your amazing progress!!
God's blessings!
love, Karen (from Louisiana)