Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Latest

BRAIN INJURY:
My brain injury has healed significantly, but there are still challenges. I struggle at times with my memory, predominantly my short term memory. I've come up with a slogan: "Say it, Write it, Do it." (That will help things sink in.)
I seek to work on things that can help in strengthening my brain: reading, writing, and working Sudoku and Crossword puzzles. I've been challenged in problem solving; one day I realized that Sudoku helps in my problem solving area.
I'm also memorizing Bible verses and just completed chapter 13 of 1 Corinthians. I work on reviewing those verses and I am going to begin on another passage.
I'm working on strategies to help me remember. Part of that includes writing more things down and being consistent in my scheduling each day.
I've also found out that rest if very important, as I am still challenged in my stamina. Eating well is also important and trying to alleviate stress in my life.
When I am tired, hungry, and/or stressed my brain has greater challenges.
CYCLING:
I am back on a bicycle again -- a tandem (2 person) bike. It has been great. I've been nervous just a couple of times. I have been encouraged at seeing the progress, strength, and stamina. It has felt good being on a bike again.
Tom, my physical therapist who has got me back on the bike, is also helping me with exercises and gym equipment to help with my balance, strength, and stamina. So if we're not on the bike, we're in the gym. I also am riding a stationary bike and my goal is to ride that bike every day.
On April 3, Tom and I will be riding in an organized ride. We're signed up for the 65 mile segment. Tom has ridden this route numerous times and is very confident that we will do well.
WRITING:
I've been getting a bit more serious and focused on some writing. Numerous people have encouraged me to write about my accident and recovery.
I hope that this will encourage others who have experienced challenging times, especially brain injury survivors. It can be a long and lonely journey.
There is hope, even if at times it doesn't feel or look like it.
God is Faithful!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kathy, I'm very excited for you that you're riding again. The hope is that soon you're be able to ride on your own. As you know, we ride every Saturday morning from Folsom. Most ride two hours, some ride one. And then we have a wonderful breakfast afterwards. Keep this in mind as your health and riding skills increase. We'd love to see you join us when you're able. Contact me at 2bejazzed@comcast.net. Dave Holbrook