Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother's Day: A Special Day Set Aside for Special People

April 16 of this year marked the 10th anniversary of my mom passing away. My mom was an interesting person, though there was much more to her than I ever knew. This morning, as well as the past few days, thoughts of my mom have been on my mind. What have I been thinking?
  1. My mom loved her three children to the best of her ability.
  2. My mom loved her two grandchildren very, very much.
  3. I am so grateful that besides knowing her grandson, Cody, before she passed away, my mom had a year with her granddaughter, Emma. My mom loved Cody and Emma very much.
  4. My mom had a very recognizable laugh and she had a twinkle in her eyes when she smiled. (I miss those things.)
  5. My mom had a generous heart.
  6. My mom was a big sports fan and we went to a San Francisco Giants baseball game together at Candlestick Park; our only time to see a game at that ballpark.
  7. When I moved to California the first time, we would have weekly phone calls - if not more than once a week.
  8. And I have also been thinking - I would have like more time with her, but I am thankful for what time I did have.
I am learning in my life, and through my recovery from this accident, I too often focus on the wrong things. I have focused too much on what my limitations still are, instead of celebrating the victories - matter how small they seem to me. My mom didn't have the easiest of lives. She didn't have a lot of self-confidence, but she was a good person. When my mom was alive, as her child, I wanted her to be 'different.' I focused too much on the limitations I felt my mom had and what I felt she wasn't doing (or doing enough of). As a result, there was much that I missed out on. I want to see life - mine and others - through different eyes/lenses.

One thing that I am grateful for is that my mom was in heaven at the time of my accident. My accident and lengthy recovery would have been incredibly difficult for her, so she was in the perfect place to see all that God has done, and is doing, throughout this process.

God, thank You so much for my mom that You gave me. This Mother's Day I celebrate her and I worship You for her.

2 comments:

Sally-Girl! said...

Well said....I think often times we are all guilty of looking at the things we want to change in our mom instead of celebrating the positive things about them. Good post and perfect timing. It will really put my heart in the right spot for tomorrow.

Thank you!

2girls2love said...

dear friend,

you may be frustrated by your limitations ... but you are still teaching us!

thank you and praise to God for gifting you!

i love you,
pam