Friday, February 20, 2009

Living with TBI

I guess it's about "blog time" again. I've been pretty inconsistent, but I'm working on it. This has been a good week, with not a lot new going on.

Last week was excellent as my sister came to hang out with me for a week. It was very good to see her. Theresa got a little glimpse of my world, as she was able to take me to a couple of appointments. It was unfortunate to see her leave, but I know she has a busy life to live in Washington.

One of the interesting events that happened was my friend, Vickie, and I were interviewed for an article in the Village Life newspaper (a small local paper in my neck of the woods.) The reporter did a very nice job with the article.

I continue to be involved with a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) Support Group. I think there are six or seven of us who have each experienced a TBI. I am the most recent recipient, but it is encouraging to interact with others who have experienced some of the same challenges that I am experiencing. Sometimes this is a lonely journey, though I have wonderful people supporting and encouraging me.

I have not been cleared to go back to work yet, though the doctor appointment that I need to have looks like it should be set soon. One of the major words in my life - thought no always followed well - is the word "patience." Things just take longer, as well as appointments aren't always when I'd like them to be. It really is okay, as I'm probably trying to push things a little quickly.

Recently I have been reminded that this healing/recovery process will take at least a year. With that, my life will probably begin looking a bit different. Now, I don't know what that all means, but part of it has to do with 'adaptation,' learning to adapt to life after experiencing a major brain injury.

One of the things coming down the road is the sentencing of the young woman who hit my friend, Kathy, and I. The woman pleaded guilty to a couple of charges and will be sentenced on March 2. Please keep me in your prayers as I will have an opportunity to speak at the sentencing. I think I'm doing okay with this, but I do know it is on my mind a lot.

Kathi

4 comments:

Katie said...

Kathy-

It is good to hear from you. I will be praying for the upcoming sentencing hearing. I am glad that you are in a support group and that you are continuing to make progress.

Much love!
Katie

DUWALI said...

Hi,Kathi. I came upon your blog by googling my own original name, which was Kathy Sturgeon! I was born maybe 20 years or so before you and raised in the Chicago area. I lost my oldest sister Nancy to a TBI some 30 years ago. I just wanted to tell you that your story of recovery is truely an inspiration. I will be praying for your continued great progress, and for your strength at the upcoming sentencing in March. May God's glory continue to be magnified through your life.

Unknown said...

Kathi, Wanted to let you know that Cyle and I have been praying for you since Carolyn Engstrom let us know about the accident. I didn't comment before because I knew you had a lot on your plate. You are dear to our hearts and we praise God that He saw fit to leave you here a little while longer...and praise Him that you are making steady progress!! Much love, Cyle & Debi Jones

Mary said...

Hi Kathi,
How did the sentencing hearing go? And your victim impact statement?
Hopefully you were able to share all of the significant impacts this whole experience has had on your life.
Blessings and best wishes for your continued recovery.
Mary