Thursday, May 17, 2012

THE BIRTHDAY RIDE Today has been a wonderful birthday day for me. For my birthday, I decided that I wanted to ride my bike again. I have not ridden my bike since leaving California. As well, I have not ridden by myself since I was injured. That is over 4 years ago. To ride with someone isn't an option right now, as I don't know anyone to ride with. I selected a short route near my apartment. It basically resembled a large square, like going around the block, but bigger. It was about 3-1/2 miles and there are hills on two sides of the route. I chose the route that would enable me to ride down the steepest portion, the ride up the hill I chose was more of a good incline. It took me about 25 minutes to go my route. I'm not fast on my bike, but I am on my bike! I was excited (I left earlier then I planned), I was a tad nervous, and I was a little chilly too. The ride began in the cool weather, but I warmed up quickly on the ride. One fear was to not be able to ride the entire route, as I'm not in great shape right now. That wasn't a problem, though I had a game plan: to get off my bike and rest, if I did. I did need to stop by my apartment when I returned, as I needed to wait for some cars before crossing the street. No problems there, and then I made it back home. It felt good to be on my ride. There was one area on the route where I needed to be extra careful, due to large trucks/semi's parked on the side of the road. There is enough room for the trucks to be there, but they did take up my bike lane. I needed to make my way into the car lane to avoid the trucks. The bike and I made it by them just fine! I am very pleased with my accomplishment today, in fact, I might just go out on my bike again tomorrow!

2 comments:

Sally-Girl! said...

You Go Kathy!!! I miss sitting next to you at Harbor!!!

tanta Lois said...

So Happy to read about your birthday ride! May you continue to find joy in your journey, and discoveries in this new beginning!